Two Harbors Lighthouse Accommodations
During your stay at the lighthouse, you are invited to use all of our common
rooms and guests are invited to use the kitchen on a limited basis. The living
room is a great spot to spend some quiet time basking in the wonderful scenery.
The primary attraction in our dining room is a candle lit Scandinavian breakfast
for all guests who want to pamper themselves a bit.
With a wealth of possible recreation near at hand, the Lighthouse Bed and
Breakfast Inn welcomes birders, paddlers, biking enthusiasts, winter sports
participants and hikers. Whether you walk the Sonju trail around the lighthouse
or go birding or nature watching on the nearby Superior Hiking Trail, ski,
snowshoe or snowmobile a web of trails in the area, or simply seek rest and
relaxation, the keeper’s house is your home during your stay.
There are four rooms available, each with a view of Lake Superior that changes
continuously. Our accommodations offer the
lakeshore grandeur and immediate
access to the North Shore scenery from the comfort of a B&B that is “home”
during your stay. Even our clean and simple common bathroom offers a wonderful
lake view. A more rustic room, known as the Skiff House, is located a few steps
from the Keeper’s Quarters. Away from the main house it offers a unique sense of
Breakfast in the Lighthouse and use of the common rooms are open to all of the
guests. The Skiff House has a private bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub(no shower).
Two Harbors Lighthouse History
The Two Harbors Light Station is the oldest operating lighthouse in the US state
of Minnesota. Overlooking Lake Superior's Agate Bay, the Light Station is
located in Two Harbors, Minnesota. The construction of the Light Station began
in 1891 and completed in 1892. The first lighting of the Two Harbors light was
on April 14, 1892.The first Two Harbors Keeper was Charles Lederle and there
were normally three Keepers assigned to make sure the light was lit 24 hours a
day. The Light Station was built at the request of the Vessel Owners Association
and the U.S. Light House Service to provide safe passage into the Agate Bay
Harbor. By the 1890’s Two Harbors was the major shipping point for the iron ore
of the Vermillion and later the Missabe Range.
The 49.6 foot tower is made of red brick and the head keeper's residence is
attached. It towers 78 feet above the surface of Lake Superior and is 12 feet
squared. The walls of the tower were built to be 3 bricks thick and the walls
where the tower and house meet are a full 5 bricks thick. This was for the
safety of the Keeper's family. The Two Harbors Light Station has a total of six
structures; the Lighthouse Tower with the attached Keeper's Quarters, the
Assistant Keeper's House, the Fog Horn Signal Building, the Oil House, the
Skiffhouse and a garage. In addition to the original buildings the historical
society has added the Frontenac Pilot House as museum space to the grounds.
The Light Station was originally equipped with a fourth order Fresnel lens,
consisting of a series of mirrored prisms that rotated around a fixed flame
supplied by oil. The Light Station also included a Fog Signal as part of the
original installation. In 1921 the light is lit for the first time by
electricity. This drastically changed the duties of the Keepers and the
personnel requirements for the Light Station. The Two Harbors Light Station
continued to be operated by the U.S. Lighthouse Service until 1939 when the U.S.
Lighthouse Service was incorporated into the U.S. Coast Guard. By 1941
technology had advanced allowing for the installation of the Radio Beacon
distance finding system. In 1969 the U.S. Coast Guard removed the Fresnel lens
and replaced it with a 24” aerobeacon with two 1000-watt bulbs, which are still
used today. The beacon is visible an average of 17 miles. The Radio Beacon was
short lived as advancements in radar technology quickly replaced it. The Fog
Signal fell silent in 1973 and some of the original compressor equipment was
shipped to the Smithsonian Institute. The original lens is now on display in the
Great Lakes Historical Society Museum in Vermillion Ohio. In 1987 the light was
totally automated from the Duluth Coast Guard Station.
The Lake County Historical Society began to provide tours of the Light Station
in 1988 when it was granted a lease by the U.S. Coast Guard. In 1999 the
Historical Society appealed to Congressman Oberstar and through a bill passed in
Congress the ownership of the Two Harbors Light Station was transferred to the
Lake County Historical Society. The Lighthouse Bed & Breakfast opened in 1999 as
the historical society’s effort to help generate funding to maintain the
buildings and grounds. The historical society assumed responsibility from the
U.S. Coast Guard for the operation of the light in 2001. The twin aerobeacons
are maintained by a group of local citizen volunteers that service the beacons
on a monthly basis. They are responsible for; cleaning the lenses, reflectors,
and windows in the lantern gallery, changing the lamps out, and changing the oil
in the rotating mechanism. A great effort was put forth to ensure that the
signature signal flash was recreated; .4 second flash,4.6 seconds of darkness,
.4 second flash, 14.6 seconds of darkness. This 20 second pattern is repeated 3
times a minute, all day, every day.
Three of the Light Station's buildings are open for visitors to tour; The Light
Tower which has been restored and fitted with exhibits, houses the rotating
light; the Assistant Keeper's building which has been restored to the late 1800s
era and has exhibits on Lake Superior shipwrecks and a kiosk with historical
information on the area; and the Frontenac Pilot House featuring an exhibit
chronicling the industrial development of Agate Bay.
Two harbors Light House Currently the Two Harbors Light Station is still
designated as an active aid to navigation and is on navigational charts, as well
as being a museum. The Two Harbors Light Station is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places.
Lighthouse Bed & Breakfast
1 LightHouse Point
P.O. Box 128
Two Harbors, MN 55616