Follow us on
facebook-logo.jpg (49×49)
twitter-logo.jpg (48×49)

Google+



Odd Inns Newsletter

Please enter your email address in the box below and click "Subscribe".




Main Menu

   Home
   Odd Inn Map
   Top 10 Inns
   Top 10 List
   AK Roadhouses
   AT Huts Hostels
   B&B's for Dogs
   Bank
   Boats & Floating
   Breweries
   Castles
   Cabooses
   Domes
   Fire Lookouts
     CA Lookouts
     MO Lookouts
     WA Lookouts
   Gettysburg
   Ghost Towns
   Haunted B&B's
   Haunted Cities
   Haunted Hotels
   Haunted
     Lighthouses 
 
   Hike In Lodges
   Historic Hotels
   Hostels
   Ice Hotels
   Jails Inns
   Lighthouses
   Lighthouses
     Inns in Maine

   Monasteries
   Multi Themed
   National Parks
   One of a Kind
   Lodges
   Planes
   Railroad Cars
   Riverboats
   Schoolhouses
   Treehouses
   Tipis & Tents
   Yurts
    California Yurts
    Colorado Yurts
   Wildlife Viewing
   Wineries
   Links
   Contact Us
   Travel Stories







Lighthouse Inn on Cape Cod, Massachusetts


Lighthouse Inn, Cape Cod that has been owned and operated by the Stone Family since 1938  

The Lighthouse Inn on Cape Cod is on 9 acres and features free Wi-Fi, a private sandy beach, and uniquely-decorated rooms that include a refrigerator. Five golf courses are located within 5 miles of the property. Select rooms at Lighthouse Inn Cape Cod offer ocean views or include a wood burning fireplace. All rooms include a private bathroom and air-conditioning. The Waterfront at Lighthouse Inn Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The Pool Snack Bar serves a light fare along with frozen drinks and ice cream. Guests can swim in the seasonal outdoor heated pool or play a game of tennis on the tennis court. Miniature golf, volleyball, and a game room are also available. Cape Cod Lighthouse Inn is a half mile from West Dennis Beach.

CapeCodLighthouse.jpg (350×250)

 
The light was lit on May 1, 1855, and continued in service until 1880, when the Lighthouse Service decided the Bass River Light was no longer necessary since a new light had been built at Stage Harbor in Chatham. One year later, the government changed its mind and decided to relight the Bass River Light. The light continued to serve seafarers until 1914, when it was decommissioned after the Cape Cod Canal opened.
 
  CapeCodLighthouseCottages.jpg (350×250)CapeCodBreezeway3.jpg (350×250)

The light was lit on May 1, 1855, and continued in service until 1880, when the Lighthouse Service decided the Bass River Light was no longer necessary since a new light had been built at Stage Harbor in Chatham. One year later, the government changed its mind and decided to relight the Bass River Light. The light continued to serve seafarers until 1914, when it was decommissioned after the Cape Cod Canal opened.

After being sold at auction, the Lighthouse property was purchased by Harry Noyes of the Noyes Buick Company in Boston. Noyes enlarged the Main House, built several buildings, and landscaped the grounds. After his death in 1933, the property was on the market for five years until Everett Stone - - at the urging of his wife Gladys - - purchased the Lighthouse property. Their son Robert helped by putting in $1000 inherited from his grandparents.

Everett was a developer from Auburn, Massachusetts. He planned to develop the land and sell it. But the papers on the Lighthouse were passed too late in June to begin any construction, so Gladys Stone decided to take in overnight guests to help pay the mortgage. So many of the 1938 guests asked to return, the Stones changed their mind about developing the land and thus began Lighthouse Inn.

Since there were very few restaurants nearby, in 1939, Gladys and Everett decided their son Bob would run the dining room for the Lighthouse. Bob hired three waitresses from Wheaton College, including Mary Packard. Bob and Mary were married in 1942, starting the tradition of family operation of the Inn.

After the death of Everett Stone in 1947, Bob, Mary and Gladys continued to run the Lighthouse over the next three decades. Bob and Mary have continued to run the Inn while raising five children at the Lighthouse - Betty Anne, Deborah, Barbara, Jonathan and Gregory, all of whom have worked at the Inn at one time or another in various capacities. Gregory and his wife, Patricia, who started at the Inn in the late ‘70's as the Children's Director, now manage the day-to-day operations of the Inn.

After being dark for 75 years, the light was relit as the only privately owned, privately maintained working lighthouse in the country. The light, which is a one-second flash every six seconds is now recognized by the Coast Guard as the West Dennis Light. The light was relit on August 7, 1989, in conjunction with the 200th anniversary of the U.S. Lighthouse Service, now the U.S. Coast Guard.
 
Lighthouse Inn
Owned and Operated by the Stone Family since 1938
Post Office Box 128
1 Lighthouse Inn Road
West Dennis, MA 02670
Phone: 508-398-2244
Website: www.lighthouseinn.com

 

 













©2017 OddInns.com All Rights Reserved.

Management Login

Powered By FlexCMS


Web Design & Hosting Services by Webbed Otter